Monday, April 30, 2007

WALK FOR A CAUSE

I had a very busy weekend. I knew I wouldn't have the chance to relax at all and was somewhat dreading the fact that I wouldn't be able to sleep in but my weekend turned out to be a good one. After work on Friday, I picked up my niece and nephew from school (I've been getting a lot of motherly practice lately :) and went straight to the hospital tp visit their daddy. He was in great spirits despite being told earlier that day that what he had was a cancerous tumor. That just goes to show that he has a fighting spirit and not even this will bring him down. My sister decided to spend the night at the hospital so Gerric and I got to take Andrew home with us. We knew we had to wake up REALLY early the next morning, so we got home and went to bed.


The next morning, I woke up at 4:45am to get into the shower. The day had finally come. We had been planning this for weeks now. We were all participating in the March of Dimes walkathon in honor of my baby nephew, Diego, who was born sleeping this past February. It was such a great experience and although all of us missed my eldest sister and Henry, who has planned on being there before he got sick, it turned out to be a great day. It was so nice being out and walking in his honor. It's something I will never forget.




Here are some pictures...




After the walk, we all went out to grab lunch at a little Mexican restaurant in the city of Los Feliz. Once we ate, we went to visit Diego at his gravesite and then headed to the hospital to visit Henry. We didn't get to see him for long since the "2 visitors at one time" is being strictly enforced in his room now. But nevertheless, it was so nice to see him.


My nephew spent the night with us again on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, I woke up and got ready really quick and took him home to be there with his daddy, who got to go home for the day, which was so nice. I didn't stay long since I wanted them to be able to spend some quality time together as a family in their home, and not in the small hospital room he's been confined to the past 2 weeks. When I saw him, his eyes lit up when he saw his son and I could tell he was so happy to be home. :) After I left, Gerric and I went to church then we went to Claim Jumper to have a belated birthday lunch for him with his sister, her husband, his dad and step-mom. Lunch was delicious! They came over for a bit and once they all left, Gerric and I took a nice nap together. A nice, LONG-awaited nap. All in all, the weekend was a good one. I can't wait to have Henry home permanently...but I'm sure no one wants that more than his wife and kids. :)


Here are Gerric and I at Claim Jumper:



I will update more on my brother-in-law's condition soon. But please continue your prayers for him. We have an appt with an oncologist at UCLA medican center on Wednesday so keep your fingers crossed that it goes well!

1 comment:

Jess ~ Robert said...

Hi Jolene,

I just found and read your blog and oh my gosh did I cry. I can't believe how much emotion you put into your writing. I just wanted to say I think it's fantastic that you all did the march of dimes walk and I love the pictures. Hopefully 2007 will turn around for the best and our prayers and love is with you and your family.

Lots of love,

Jessica, Lexy and Robert