Wednesday, May 17, 2006

WHOA IS ME

I have always had a very sensitive stomach growing up. I remember having to go to this lady doctor when I was young for my stomach since I had been sick for a few days. I guess some things never change. I don't think I've been as sick as I've been since I've gotten married. As I tell my husband, I think I'm really testing the "sickness" part of our vows. He's been wonderful though. I had gotten over what the doctor called a "gastrointestinal stomach infection" about a month ago. It was awful. I had to teach my intestines how to digest again. Luckily, I got through that awful thing in 7 days. So things were fine and my stomach had been behaving or at least what's "normal" to me since then. My husband's Canadian cousins had returned home from their Mexican Riviera cruise on Saturday...most of them sick. Anyhow, after we all had a cousin photo shoot taken on Sunday afternoon, we all ate dinner. I won't say where since there's no way to really prove if that's what caused this. We said our goodbyes and that was that.

I started feeling a little queezy in the wee hours of the next morning and tried to ignore it at first. After I couldn't take it anymore, I went downstairs, trying not to wake my snoring husband next to me, and took two spoonfuls of Milanta, thinking that would do the trick. Oh boy, was I wrong! I immediately felt worse and went to the bathroom to throw up all of Sunday night's dinner. That's when the nightmare began. I continued to throw up that morning until there was nothing left in my stomach and simply started to vomit this disgusting, extremely bitter, did-I-say-disgusting, yellow stuff that's been described by my doctor as "stomach bile." Can we say "GROSS?!?" Needless to say, I stayed home sick on Monday. My amazing husband stayed home with me but I don't really remember much of what he did except watch over me since I slept for most of that day. My mommy had sent me some of her delicious feel-good chicken soup with my sister and I started taking a few spoonfuls when I started feeling sick...again. I think this was the worst feeling I've ever had of this god-awful virus or whatever it is. I had this intense pain in my stomach and I was seeing 4 of my feet that I all I could manage to do was moan when what I really wanted to do was call out for my husband to take me to urgent care. I was helpless. After that terrible ordeal, I managed to fall asleep without having anything in my tummy.

By the next morning (Tuesday), I got up with all the intentions in the world of going to work. I was in the shower but started feeling extremely dizzy to the point where I jumped out of the shower just to put my head between my knees because I was sure I was going to pass out. I knew I was in no condition to be going back to work so I called in sick for the second time. I'm back at work today finally but still feeling very weak. I guess that's what you feel when you haven't had anything solid for two whole days.

So I'm not certain what the culprit was. Was it Sunday night's dinner (I forgot to mention that 2 other people in our group were sick with the same symptoms on Monday) or was it some virus that the Canadians brought back with them from Mexico? I guess we'll never know. I'm just glad I survived the whole ordeal. Until the next time...

No comments: